As a young girl who just finished sixth grade, Carmen started Photoshop during the summer, because she didn’t want to go to the other summer schools. She loved the new HTML language, and the ease of using a mouse to create art on Photoshop (especially since she was never any good at drawing).
Carmen took all the digital art classes she could in high school, but it was really in college that she perfected her style and craft. At Hofstra University, she majored in Fine Arts with a concentration in Graphic Design while taking classes she enjoyed, such as Japanese, Mandarin, and Creative Writing.
Carmen has always wanted to own her own webspace, so this is a dream itself, just having a stake in some internet soil instead of a blog or a website on another server.
Hard At Work
At Hofstra University, Carmen took many classes for her major, including:
- Graphic Design I through IV, making:
- Branding (Stationary, letterheads, business cards, etc)
- Book covers
- Short book layouts
- Magazine covers and magazine layouts
- Typographic art
- Packages (Package design)
- New Media I through IV, making:
- Sound clips
- Short movies
- Powerpoint presentations
- Handheld devices (Programmed in Macromedia Director)
Also at Hofstra University, Carmen participated in these clubs:
- Hofstra Association of Graphic Arts (HAGA) – at HAGA, Carmen was the Secretary, where, in addition to making graphic art, she:
- Helped members who weren’t as proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Planned workshops designed to teach Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Worked to increase membership, which has tripled since it’s start
- Helped plan the Second Annual Fine Arts Career Night
- Golden Key Internation Honor Society (GKI) – at GKI, Carmen was the Webmaster, where she:
- Collaborated with executive board to plan events to give back to the community, donate to various clubs on campus, and support philanthropic speakers to come to Hofstra
- Maintained the Hofstra Chapter website at Golden Key home page
- Started and maintained the Hofstra Chapter group on Facebook
- Helped plan and run the 2009 Golden Key Induction Ceremony
Carmen has also interned at:
- ALearn – a non-profit organization based in Los Altos, CA. ALearn focuses on education and uses funds to help students go to college. At ALearn, Carmen:
- Worked directly under the co-founder and president, Kathryn Hanson
- Re-designed ALearn brochure using stock photos and written information
- Re-designed layout for ALearn website (currently in use)
- Edited existing ALearn flyers
- Silicon Valley Education Foundation (SVEF) – a non-profit organization based in San Jose, CA. SVEF helps prepare students for college and careers by supporting educators and school districts. At SVEF, Carmen:
- Re-designed Pioneers & Purpose program
- Designed Pioneers & Purpose dinner menus
- Designed Stepping Up To Algebra T-shirts
- Created and edited flyers, certificates, templates, save-the-dates, invites, and brochures
More recently, Carmen has worked as the office/store manager at the Australian Products Company. Her responsibilities included:
- Using basic Multichannel Order Manager (M.O.M.)
- Managing the stock of the store; restocking the store as needed, including reordering and delivering stock from multiple suppilers; making sure the stock was the correct count; making sure the food stock was within the expiration date
- Picking up and delivered frozen food
- Conducting full customer service with customers in-store, over the phone, and through email
- Downloading online and Amazon orders; taking orders on the phone; shipping orders with USPS, Fedex and Golden State Overnight
- Making gift baskets and boxes, and wrapping gifts for orders
- Balancing the register
- Managing the employees; managing the store employee schedule; making sure the employees were on task
In Her Free Time
Carmen has an adoring, nerdy, awesome boyfriend named Taylor. She’s been on many adventures with him and it has been a great ride so far! Most of her free time has been taken up by this weirdo.
Carmen enjoys watching television. Her favorite show of all time being Stargate: Atlantis. Her other top favorites include The Glades, Mythbusters, Supernatural, and Burn Notice. While she no longer watches regularly scheduled programming, she enjoys browsing Netflix, Crackle, and Amazon Instant Video for new shows to watch.
Carmen also enjoys movies. In no particular order, her top five are Tonari no Totoro / My Neighbor Totoro, Sherlock Holmes (2009), Inception, The Italian Job (2003) and V For Vendetta.
Carmen thoroughly enjoys playing video games, but her attention span wanders, and usually doesn’t finish the game. Her current games include Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar and SimCity Creator (both on NDS). She really likes the Harvest Moon series as well as the Final Fantasy and Luminous Arc series.
Carmen is trying to get back into reading. She owns a Kindle and has purchased many (free) books, but all it has done is get her addicted to several mobile games.
Check out her fandom tag to see what she’s been watching or playing lately.
Carmen loves animals and occasionally watches animal documentaries. She recently got two pet Chinchillas, lovingly named Bruce and Peter (or Batman and Spiderman) and would love to own everything from cats and guinea pigs to iguanas and pythons. Her family also has several aquatic animals: goldfish, Ender Guppies and Cherry Shrimp.