I’m on vacation! This is a pre-scheduled blog post for your enjoyment. Let me know what you think!
Over the past couple of years, I went from “sometimes putting eyeliner and lipstick on” to learning how to take care of your skin and how to do that with makeup. I just wanted to share the love for all things beauty and skin-care related. Let me know what you think!
You might know I’m on vacation and I’ll be in the sun a lot (I’m assuming…. We’re in SoCal!) so I thought it would be a good idea to talk about sun protection! So normally, if it’s over 80°, I’m probably going to be dousing myself in sunscreen with the highest SPF I can find (usually between 50-70 SPF) and wearing sunglasses, so I don’t wear a lot of makeup. I will maybe put some lipgloss or chapstick on if I remember. Otherwise, if I’m staying outside and it’s that hot, I’m probably just there to have fun, like eat a lot or ride a lot of roller coasters. It’s definitely more important to me to not get burnt while having fun than to look good.
That’s when I use products like Supergoop and Coola help! I got my samples of these two brands in one of my Birchboxes so that’s where I’m linking to (I’m not sponsored, nor are are these affiliate links, promise!), but you can find them just about anywhere online. These are the products I got that I used, and what I thought of them!
- Supergoop Hand Cream SPF 40 – I like this idea because I’m always putting lotion on my hands so having this on me while I’m out and about is pretty awesome. It does smell like sunscreen though.
- Coola SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer – Smells like cucumber! Though you do have an underlying sunscreen smell (they just can’t seem to get rid of it!) This one is mostly made of organic ingredients, if that’s your thing!
- Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50 – It smells like sunscreen, but it’s oil free and rich in anti-oxidants!
Bonus! Before the samples, I just used Neutrogena sunscreen, as it was the most friendly for my face!
However, if it’s a normal work day and I’m going to work, I know my face will be in the sun for about an hour total while driving and maybe I’ll be outside on break for 15 minutes, so I tried these samples from Birchbox and ipsy for everyday, under-makeup wear. (Again, the links to Birchbox can also be found elsewhere. The two samples from Ipsy are linked to the brand website and can also be found elsewhere.)
- Coola Face SPF 30 Unscented Matte Tint – It was indeed unscented which was much appreciated! I used it like a moisturizer/primer and put on my makeup over it. It has been a while since I finished this sample, so I have no other comments!
- Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45+ – This is the stuff I’m using right now, it’s pretty great. Also unscented, I think, I mean, it smells like BB balm/foundation? Use like regular BB balm/primer, provides great coverage. Probably one of my favourites!
- Bare Republic SPF 30 Tinted Mineral Face Sunscreen Lotion – My first one on the list from Ipsy! It’s also by Coola. Not really unscented, kinda smells fruity? Wear it like primer/moisturizer. It has light to medium coverage, and it’s a little chalky. It does separate if you leave it too long (so it could dry out potentially?) but if you give it a shake, it will all blend together again.
- IT Your Skin But Better™ CC Cream with SPF 50+ – Another one from Ipsy! And another one of my favourites. Great coverage, like the Dr. Jart+ one, you use it like regular CC cream/primer, and has great coverage. I has been a while, again, since I finished this one, so I can’t remember what it smells like. I wanna say fruity? I was really sad when I finished this. I might pick it up again!
- Coola SPF 30 Organic Makeup Setting Spray – It has a very, very light scent of sunscreen, but it’s kind of pleasing and not too overpowering like regular sunscreen. It’s my first makeup setting spray! It really made my makeup stay all day at work, but since I have no comparison I can’t say anything else but that.
- Supergoop Daily Correct CC Cream SPF 35+ – I got this in my April box and have yet to use it! I will probably be using it on my trip so I’ll let you know how I like it! I just wanted to include it because I just received it 🙂
Bonus! On a regular day, if I don’t have one of these at the ready, my regular everyday foundation is the bareMinerals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15, so it has a little sunprotection already! It does help to have some extra protection (after all SPF 15 is not a lot) but any help is good!
What makeup products do you use that protect you from the sun? Have you used any of these products? Let me know!