Another week, another My Recencies post! Every week, I update what I’ve been doing, listening to, watching, reading, etc.; this is what I call “My Recencies”! Here is what I did this week!
Phew, I barely had any free time this week at all. I was doing menu work all week as the deadline was moved up suddenly and I got extra work to do on it. I took pictures for a blog post but didn’t even get time to download the pictures or write the post! Things will be busy next week too but after that it will slow down I think. I like being busy, but it’s like that image I’ve seen online: You have three options and you only get to pick two; sleep, work, and a social life. It’s a delicate balance and I’m still working on it. I really should have scheduled blog posts last week but everyone has 20/20 hindsight. Sigh.
- Saturday – On one of the only days I got free time, I got tickets for Chris Hardwick here in San Jose, and he was amazing (as usual)! I said this before, but no matter how many times I hear him tell the same joke, it’s always funny. You’re the best, Chris!
- Tuesday – Episode 31 of We’re The Worst was published! Sowmya and I ramble for an hour about what we’ve been up to!
- Memory Palace – This week I listened to “We’ve Forgotten James Powell” and “Other Bodies.” “We’ve Forgotten James Powell” was about minorities who were killed for insignificant reasons during the 60s, and “Other Bodies” was about Jane Froman, a mute opera singer who helped out entertaining the troops during WW2.
- Mike Detective – This week I listened to “The Postman Always Sings Twice” and “Ace Venture: Mike Detective.” Mike Detective follows a mysterious knocking and ends up at a racetrack!
- The Moth – This week I listened to “Blue Men, Psychopaths and a Bad Date” and “Snow White and the Screaming Meemies.” A heart-warming story from each episode: At the beginning of “Blue Men,” a guy who was in the Blue Man group tells a story of how he gets reminded about the best parts of the job, and at the end of “Snow White,” a girl tries to literally help a guy off a cliff. Really great stories!
- The Mutant Season – This week I listened to “Ryan and Jake from Meltcast.” Ryan and Jake run the podcast for Meltdown, and they talk to GIl about comic books and superheroes; always good topics!
- The Nerdist – This week I listened to “Misha Collins” and “Charlie Day.” Misha Collins talked about Supernatural, Gishwshes, and about how he used to work at the White House! Charlie Day talked about Pacific Rim, It’s Always Sunny, and auditioning.
- Never Not Funny – This week I listened to “1016F Tom Arnold.” Tom Arnold talked to the guys about working at Hormel and really gross stories about killing pigs. I’m sure there were other stories (there were stories about being addicted to pain killers and his various ex-wives), but those kinda got blocked out for me by the pig killing stories. Wow, I could not eat after that.
- The Pen Addict – This week I listened to “Get the Lead Out.” In this episode, they talk about a really small fountain pen called the Kaweco Lilliput and also their favourite pencil, the Uniball Kuratoga.
- Pop My Culture – This week I listened to “John Hodgman, Aimee Mann and John Roderick” and “Amber Tamblyn.” Vanessa and Cole talk to John Hodgman, and Aimee Mana and John Roderick stop by! They talk about John’s work on the Apple ads and the Daily Show but also about Hunger Games and the Tripod Trilogy. Vanessa and Cole talk to Amber Tamblyn about her conflict(?) with Tyrese and they sing jingles! I love singing jingles!
- Professor Blast Off – This week I listened to “Déja Vu” and “Evolution.” In “Déja Vu,” they discussed different theories of why déja vu happens and if they’ve ever had a memorable déja vu experience. In “Evolution,” they talked to a evolutionary scientist and a lot of their discussion centered around why “weak” traits like compassion are carried on. A really fascinating discussion!
- Risk! – This week I listened to “Family Secrets” and “Live From Philly 4!” In “Family Secrets,” my favourite story was from a woman who went to North Korea with her father to visit her father’s family. It was really interesting to get a real view of what North Korea is like (from a couple years ago, anyway). In “Live From Philly 4!” my favourite story was from a woman who goes to Brazil to teach English (and learn Portugese). The stuff that happens to her sounds really fun and scary at the same time; I was picturing it as a short film in my head!
- Sklarbro Country – This week I listened to “Har Mar Superstar” and “Janeane Garofalo.” My favourite Har Mar Superstar moment was when he sang acapella in the studio for the guys! In Janeane’s episode, they talk a lot about comedy!
- Spontaneanation – This week I listened to “A UFC Weign-In.” This was a really funny episode, but I was intrigued b Kaitlin Olsen’s interview at the beginning, about her growing up healthy!
- The Thrilling Adventure Hour – This week I listened to “Tales of The USSA, ‘New Frontiers,'” “Sparks Nevada, ‘I’m from Earth’ Day special,” “Sparks Nevada, ‘Something Wicked This Way Is,'” and “The Cross Time Adventures of Colonel Tick-Tock, ‘Mrs. Parker and the Doctaparatorious Paradox.'” I really enjoyed the “I’m From Earth” Day Special (especially the “If You Love Something, Never Let It Go” song), but I was really intrigued by “Something Wicked This Way Is” because Paul F. Tompkins was in it, and he plays an interesting character! I can’t wait to listen to the follow-up episode!
- Today We Learned – This week I listened to “Brady Matthews” and “Seth Green.” In Brady Matthews’ episode, they talked about a lot of artist facts because Brady is an artist! I learned that Bob Ross could record a whole season of his show in two days! In Seth Green’s episode, they talked a lot about remakes and they’re kinda our way of passing down our mythology (movies) to younger generations. I also learned that stop motion was first used in 1897! (I wonder if flip book animations started around the same time?)
- @midnight – This week I really, really enjoyed Wednesday’s episode with Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, and April Richardson. April was at Chris’s show on Saturday, so it was great seeing her again! I also absolutely love any time when Wil is on!
- Blue Bloods – This past weekend I finished the rest of the series! It ended on a good note, but kinda flat last episode. I guess that’s good? It’s supposed to be like a regular day and their life just goes on even after we stop following them.
- George Gently – This show is about a British detective called George Gently (if that’s not obvious), and the show is set in the late 60s. I started George Gently before I got caught up in Blue Bloods so I just started this back up after finishing it. These episodes are an hour and a half long each, so they’re pretty long.
I guess I ended up eating out a lot this week during my limited free time.
- AFK Lounge – Taylor and I went here after seeing Chris Hardwick because it’s in downtown San Jose! It was both of our first times there, and it was pretty fun! Kinda expensive, but it’s a bar so I kind of expected that.
- Bon Chon Chicken – I’m kinda hesitant about blogging about this place because it’s already too popular in my area. Bon Chon Chicken is probably the best fried chicken place ever. The crust (is that what you call it?) is the BEST; so crunch and flavorful! I didn’t have a free day and I still went out! I knew I wasn’t going to be able to see Taylor over the weekend, so we met up and just had dinner.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – This is Taylor’s favourite wing place (mine is Wing Stop, in case you were wondering) so we come here often.
- Kenji Sushi – My mom and I went here on the weekend (when I wasn’t busy). It both of our first times here, and my coworker was saying that this is his favourite sushi place. Neither of us had sushi, but the entrees we had were pretty good!
I’m still using all the apps I was using in my original post so I won’t repeat myself.
- JetPens.com – I bought the Brush Pen Sampler on JetPens because it just came back into stock. Again, little free time and I barely got time to play around with them, but I’m glad I got them because the sampler has been out of stock for a while!
That’s everything for this week, guys! Hope you enjoyed your week, and liked a glimpse at mine!