Another week, another My Recencies post! As part of my revamp of my blog, every week I’m going to update what I’ve been doing, listening to, watching, reading, etc.; this is what I’m going to call “My Recencies”! This is what I’ve done this week!
I did a lot of blog work this week! I got really motivated to share my experiences this week, and I’m trying to think of a better name for my blog, but I really like having my name as my domain because it was one of my life goals from when I was a wee teenager. I have more to share this next week so I hope you like what I’ve done so far! I made a pretty awesome title card for the My Recencies posts (at the top of the page)! I also started handlettering, a new hobby!
- Saturday – I went to the Santa Clara county fair with my mom! Turns out she had never been before, *and* had never tried a funnel cake so I defintely had to change that! I also started a 30 Day Journal challenge with Sowmya because why not get our creativity flowing together and cheer each other on! The link to my 30 Day Challenge is further down. I also started my August bullet journal!
- Tuesday – I posted Episode 29 of WTW Podcast; Sowmya and I talk about beauty products and our routines and what we’d like to try, and what we love! I also included the time to which you can skip if you don’t like girls talking about that kind of thing. This night, Taylor and I went to one of our favourite BBQ places and the host was like “…Oh hey guys! Welcome back!” and we were like “oh crap, we can never come back here, they’re starting to remember our faces!” but I’m trying to reason that he must say that to everyone. Right? …Right?
I didn’t add anything new to Spotify, though I have been using it to meditate with my Stop, Breathe, & Think app so it’s nice! Here are the podcasts I’ve been listening to:
- Comedy Death Ray/Comedy Bang Bang – a radio podcast hosted by comedian Scott Aukerman, he has guests on and he interviews them! Sometimes the guests are characters, sometimes the guests are real people, but all the time it’s funny. This week, I listened to #57 with Brian Posehn and James Adomian, and #58 with Rob Huebel and Steel Panther.
- Criminal – a podcast about different crimes, criminals, and victims of crimes. This was perfect for a crime junkie like me. The episode I listened to was called “Triassic Park”; it was a really interesting story about the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona, and the thefts that occur there.
- The Dollop – an American history podcast where one comedian, Dave Anthony, reads a story from history to another comedian, Gareth Reynolds, who knows nothing about it beforehand. Hands down, this is one of my three favourite podcasts of all time. Of all time! This week, I listened to #57 about Eric Red, and #58 about Lenny Dykstra.
- Everything Is Stories – a combination between an interview and a storytelling, this podcast believes that everyone has a story, and goes to interview some extremely interesting people. The episode I listened to was called “Vanished Status” and it was about a protestor in the 60s who was falsely accused of starting a fire during a protest, and given 5 years in jail for it, so he changed his identity. His story is a fascinating one, but it really instilled in me the fact I could probably never be a fugitive.
- The Fogelnest Files – a podcast where the host, Jake Fogelnest, shows weird or hard-to-find clips from pop culture, and they talk about it. This week I listened to #3 with Jon Hendren and #4 with Steve Agee and Horatio Sanz.
- The Indoor Kids – a video game podcast hosted by comedian Kumail Nanjiani and his wife Emily V. Gordon who are both hilarious and amazing! This week I listened to “Gaming School with Adam Sessler.”
- Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show – comedian Kevin Pollak has a chat show where he talks to people (usually celebrities). This week I listened to #3 with Jim Gaffigan, and #4 with Joe Mantegna.
- The Memory Palace – stories from history told beautifully by the podcast’s creator, Nate DiMeo. This week I listened to “400,000 Stars” and “The Glowing Orbs”.
- The Moth – stories told by people that are usually hilarious or extremely sad. The only thing I don’t like is there’s only one a week. This week I listened to “Fathers” and “Nicole Kear and Christy Kent.”
- The Mutant Season – an interview podcast where a kid (I think he’s 12 now? He starts out the podcast at 9!) interviews people about their jobs! It’s really cute and inspiring to listen to this smart kid interview people! This week I listened to “Chris Fairbanks” and “Bobak Ferdowsi.”
- The Nerdist Podcast – I try and listen to at least two episodes of this per week. This week I listened to “Fred Willard Returns!” and “Billy Crystal.”
- Never Not Funny – comedian Jimmy Pardo is joined by his producer and a different guest and they just talk about anything! This week I listened to #811f with Conan O’Brien and #914f with Ty Burrell.
- The Pen Addict – a podcast with host Myke Hurley and the owner of The Pen Addict website, Brad Dowdy, they geek out about pens and paper! This week I listened to “Not Your Grandfather’s Fountain Pen” and “Retro Style.”
- Pop My Culture – great and silly podcast about entertainment culture with Vanessa Ragland and Cole Stratton. This week I listened to #71 with Fred Stoller and #72 with Judy Greer.
- Today We Learned – an educational podcast where the hosts often have a guest (usually a comedian or actor) and they just talk about interesting facts they know, and tie in stories from their lives and stuff. I’m doing a pretty terrible job of describing it, but it’s really good! The episodes I listened to this week were Omar Dorsey and Christian Spicer.
- Welcome To Nightvale – a comedy podcast set in a fake fantasy town called Nightvale, and lots of crazy stuff happens! Like mysterious hooded figures and dog parks that you can’t look directly at. The episodes I listened to this week were History Week, and The Lights in Radon Canyon.
- Who Charted – another podcast I’m going to keep, this one reminds me of Pop My Culture, but this one focuses on the top five lists of certain media that week, specifically in music and movies. The episodes I listened to were Jason Nash and Sarah Silverman.
- You Made It Weird – a really introspective podcast where comedian Pete Holmes interviews people about everything from religion, love, and their careers. This week, I listened to the Ron Funches and Live In Chicago! episodes.
- @midnight – My favourite episode this week was last night’s with Aubrey Plaza, Paul Sheer, and Rob Huebel! I love them all so much!
- Blue Bloods – I finished Seasons 1 and 2, and I’m on Season 3 now!
- The Boxtrolls – I watched this on Netflix! I love stop motion animation so anytime it is used, I will watch it. This was a cute movie, and the story wasn’t predictable at all; there were a lot of weird twists I didn’t expect, and it made the movie like 30 minutes longer than I thought. It was fun!
- Minions – I watched this with Taylor; I had seen both Despicable Me movies while he had only seen the first one. We both really liked it; it was cute! I don’t know a lot of people obsessed with the little guys, so I guess it wasn’t ruined for me, but I know people who are definitely over the Minions craze.
I didn’t do a lot of reading this week, and I wanted to share the restaurants I went to this week, so here you go!
- The Smoking Pig – This is the BBQ restaurant I mentioned at the beginning of this post, where the host kind of remembered us. We usually get the Meat Combo because one type or style of meat is not enough! They also have one of my favourite sauces to eat with BBQ, and it’s called Carolina Sassy. So good!
- Chipotle – my mom has never had Chipotle before, and we had a nice two-for-one coupon! If you’ve never been to one, what’s wrong with you?? Seriously.
- The Counter – If you have never been to The Counter, get to one right now. It’s an expensive burger but they’re so good! One of the only places I know that sell bison (they have bison at the location here, anyway) and I just found out they ground their meat privately so they can cook their patties rare, which, I read, is healthier than eating it medium. They also have really great burger bowls – healthy and low carb!
I’m still doing everything I did last week so I won’t repeat myself.
- Here is the pin I am using for my 30 Day Challenge! – For some reason the website doesn’t work, so I’m linking to my pin.
- JetPens.com – I have such a long wishlist at this place and I just recently bought a small chunk of it, enough for the free shipping! I bought a Platinum Preppy, and I love using it so far, two different drawing pens (one Pilot Drawing Pen and one Sakura Micron), two Frixion products (one Frixion marker and one eraser), and one regular eraser! I also bought some ink and a dip pen. Don’t judge me!
That’s everything for this week, guys!